Bressay Lighthouse Lighthouse Holidays Bressay in the Shetland Islands is 4 kilometres (2.5 miles) south-east of Lerwick. Bressay Lighthouse Situated on the rocky headland at the south entrance to Lerwick Harbour, Bressay Lighthouse is an iconic image for any visitor to the isles. Zoom Passing the ‘Bressa Light’ is the start and finishing post for any journey to or from Shetland by sea, and is a welcome landmark for locals and visitors alike.
Bressay Lighthouse lighthouse keepers cottages on the. At 11 square miles (28 km2), Bressay is the fifth largest island in Shetland. Since 1858, the Bressay Lighthouse has provided a guiding light to ships navigating Bressay's rocky headland. Indeed, positioned at the south entrance to Lerwick Harbour, the ‘Bressa Light' is a well-known start and finishing post for any journey to or from Shetland by sea.
Bressay Lighthouse - Rampant Scotland The population is around 360 people, concentrated in the middle of the west coast, around Glebe, Fullaburn and Maryfield. There are a number of sea caves and arches. Bressay was one of four lighthouses built in Shetland between 18 which were designed by brothers David Stevenson and Thomas Stevenson. David Stevenson initially maintained that building a lighthouse in Shetland waters was impossible, too dangerous and too expensive.
Bressay Facilities Lighthouse Holidays The graphic on the right by John Winterbottom, via Wikimedia Commons, shows Lerwick from Bressay. Bressay Facilities. There are two lighthouse keeper's cottages at Bressay. The accommodation is clean with large bright rooms and all facilities on hand for a comfortable stay. Bedrooms have unrivalled views over the sea, with some looking out on to the light tower. Both cottages sleep up to six people, with two double bedrooms and one twin room.
Bressay Lighthouse - Hidden Scotland The island is made up of old red sandstone with some basaltic intrusions. Bressay is one of the Shetland Islands with a population of around 360 people. It’s so close to the Shetland mainland that the ferry trip only takes five minutes. The lighthouse was opened in August 1858 and was in operation right up to August 2012.